Thank you Dean at The Quick Escape for nominating me for the Liebster Award (you can see his post here)! Like Dean, I had never heard of this before I was nominated, but it seems like a great way to encourage bloggers to network, as well as give credit to new bloggers. Here’s how it works…
The Official Rules of the Liebster Award
If you have been nominated for The Liebster Award AND YOU CHOOSE TO ACCEPT IT, write a blog post about the Liebster award in which you:
- Thank the person who nominated you and post a link to their blog on your blog
- Display the award on your blog — by including it in your post and/or displaying it using a ‘widget’ or a ‘gadget’ (note that the best way to do this is to save the image to your own computer and then upload it to your blog post)
- Answer 11 questions about yourself, which will be provided to you by the person who nominated you
- Provide 11 random facts about yourself
- Nominate 5 to 11 blogs that you feel deserve the award, who have a less than 1000 followers (note that you can always ask the blog owner this since not all blogs display a widget that lets the readers know this information!)
- Create a new list of questions for the nominated bloggers to answer
- List these rules in your post (you can copy and paste from here)
- Once you have written and published it, you then have to inform the people/blogs that you nominated that they have been nominated for the Liebster Award and provide a link for them to your post so that they can learn about it (they may never have heard of it!)
And here are the 11 questions from Dean. Answering these has certainly provided me with a lot of self-reflection, if anything!
What keeps you busy?
Sadly, at the moment my 9-5 job. But, we all gotta pay the bills, and hopefully it won’t be too long before I’m off into the exciting world again!
Dogs or cats?
This is a tough one…I have always been a ridiculous animal lover, and pretty much weep whenever I see a puppy or a kitten. But if I had to choose it would have to be dogs. They’re just so friendly, always craving for human attention, and you can wrestle them if they’re big enough! Here’s my dog, Sally:
Biggest regret of your life?
This is something I can’t say I have ever thought about. And thinking about it, I really cannot come up with anything. I guess a big regret in life would be something that you believe has altered how your life has turned out to be at present, for the worse. Otherwise, what’s the point regretting it? So, in that case, I don’t really have any big regrets – everything is pretty good for me in the grand scheme of things. Which is a nice thought! Obviously I would rather be off in some new and exotic country right now rather than in a slightly grey and gloomy London…but it won’t be long, with any luck! And there’s nothing holding me back (other than the current status of my bank account…).
What’s your favourite song? Please provide an excerpt from its lyrics that struck you most
Despite its comparative lack of philosophy, this question is probably the one that has stumped me the most. There is absolutely no way I could name a favourite song, as there are just so many great ones out there, and so many I haven’t even heard!
But, for now, I’m going to go with ‘Gold In Them Hills’, by Ron Sexsmith. I love the melody, and it’s from one of my favourite films, About Time. It has a pretty happy-go-lucky message too – a good one for if you’re having a bad day!
‘But if we’d only open our eyes
We’d see the blessings in disguise
That all the rain clouds are fountains
Though our troubles seem like mountains
There’s gold in them hills
There’s gold in them hills
So don’t lose heart
Give the day a chance to start’
Do you believe in after life?
Sadly…no. Although I find it completely incomprehensible, I think that when it ends, it ends. That’s it. I guess I’ve always just had a fairly scientific mind! But I still can’t really understand how it can all just end…
You are happiest when…?
When it’s sunny, and there’s just not very much to think about other than the fact that it’s sunny.
If you are given the chance to change the ending of a timeless movie, how will it go?
Titanic. It’s infuriating. Jack could definitely have fit on the bit of wood too!!
What and where is your most memorable trip or experience?
I’ve done some pretty cool things…but one of the most memorable was definitely living with a host family in Nepal. They were so welcoming and really treated us like members of the family!
Which do you prefer, series or movies? Kindly provide your favourite character.
I’m definitely a movie person. And one of my favourite characters is Spike, Grant’s strange flatmate in Notting Hill. I guess it’s just because he is so wonderfully strange.
What is the most outrageous thing you’ve done?
Probably drinking a ‘special’ lassie in India. We didn’t know what ‘special’ meant any more than you are speculating it means right now…
What type of charity or foundation will you set up?
If I were to set up a charity, I think it would have to be in support of stopping something that I find absolutely devastating, but that so many people don’t know the true extent of: human trafficking. This is something that involves not only teenage girls, and boys, but children as young as toddlers, and adults too. And it happens all over the world. I find it truly inconceivable that human beings could do such a thing to other people; it must be stopped. Bit of a bleak answer, sorry, but it’s something that more people should be thinking about, and thinking about stopping.
11 random facts about me:
- I play the flute
- My last hair cut was almost a year ago, in El Salvador, and it cost me $2
- I once ran into a door and maybe broke my nose
- The first place I visited outside of Europe was Madagascar
- I once had a chinchilla called Poppit
- I spend a lot of time looking at Google Maps, thinking about all the places I want to go to
- I kind of want to write a novel
- I studied History at university – it was awesome
- I grew up in an old farm house in the English countryside
- Some of my friends call me Wand. Others call me Queenie
- The most expensive thing I’ve ever bought is a plane ticket
So, here are the five blogs that I nominate for the Liebster Award:
- Daphne and Tamara at Girlswanderlust
- Natalie at De Winter Retreat
- Liz at Closetothegrain
- Yangg at Hopscotch Memoirs
- Joana at A Maria Joana
And here are your 11 questions:
- What is your favourite of the countries you have visited so far?
- If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?
- Who would be your ideal travel partner?
- Are you an under-packer or an over-packer?
- What’s the scariest thing you’ve ever done?
- What’s your dream job?
- Who do you envy most in the world?
- Which kind of travel do you prefer: driving, flying, going by train or going by bus?
- What’s your must-have travel item?
- If you could eat one meal for the rest of your life, what would it be?
- Summer or winter?
Answer away! 🙂